Author, Nancy Christie, has designated the shortest day of the year, 21st December, as “Celebrate Short Fiction Day”. As Nancy says, “December 21st marks both the start of winter and the shortest day of the year. So, why not suggest to your readers that they take advantage of the long winter night to curl up with a good short story?”
Recently, the popularity of short stories has grown, and Pixel Hall Press has published some excellent examples of this genre. Two of my favourite individual “shorts” are “Annabelle” and “Alice in Wonderland”,
Last month, I read and reviewed another Pixel Hall Press publication: “Seven From Haven” by Daniel Grotta. Pixel Hall Press has kindly offered a story from this collection of “gentle” ghost stories for you to download at http://tinyurl.com/mbkk6jm.
Last month, I read this collection of “Christmas Ghost Stories” by Stewart King – quite a spooky dip into this genre!
This year has been a revelation for me! Until 2013, I think I had read only one collection of short stories from start to finish, declaring that this particular genre was definitely NOT for me! I would like to publicly thank all of the above mentioned authors for changing my mind. I have come to appreciate the fact that a well crafted, well written short story can be as satisfying as an epic read, often providing more food for thought than the longer novel.
I have several more collections to read, both on my kindle and on my real book shelves, so it looks as if 2014 will continue to provide me with lots of great “short” reads.
Wishing everyone a very Happy Christmas – oh yes, and a Happy Short Fiction Day!
- December 21st Designated “Celebrate Short Fiction” Day, as the Digital Era Ushers in a New Golden Age of the Short Story (virtual-strategy.com)
- The Future of Short Fiction is Looking Good (pageturnerblog.wordpress.com)
- Using Twitter Hashtag #CelebrateShortFictionDay, Pixel Hall Press Issues a Challenge to Other Publishers to Offer the Public Complimentary Short Stories on December 21 (virtual-strategy.com)
- National Short Story Day – 21st December – taken from Comma Press Email (mendusharrisbooks.wordpress.com)
- Fast Food Fiction : the rise of the short story. (abooklessordinary.wordpress.com)
- Can publishers make shorter fiction popular again? (madeleinemilburn.co.uk)